Nature Conservation Egypt
Terms of Reference
Position: Program Manager – Safe Flyways
Nature Conservation Egypt (NCE) is an Egyptian non-governmental organisation (NGO), specialising in the conservation of Egypt’s biodiversity and natural heritage. Established in 2005, NCE approaches conservation through advocacy, research, capacity building, awareness-raising, educational activities, as well as legislative and policy-based approaches to conservation.
NCE is looking to fill the position of Program Manager for its Safe Flyways program of 2019, which is currently implemented through two major projects: “Addressing the illegal hunting of birds along Egypt’s Northern Mediterranean coast” and “Reducing energy infrastructure-related bird mortality”.
Position Title: Program Manager
Duration: One year
Location: Agouza, Cairo
Reporting to: Nature Conservation Egypt’s Executive Director
Working Days: Full time, 5 days per week
Working Hours: Flexible hours depending on the work requirements, 8 hours per day
The program manager will oversee the management and implementation of the two projects running under the ‘Safe Flyways for Migratory Birds’ program. This program builds on NCE’s recent progress in addressing the threats facing migratory birds passing through Egypt with a particular focus on urgent action regarding illegal hunting and birds mortality due to energy infrastructures.
The main responsibility of the program manager will be ensuring the quality and timely execution of the projects activities. Strategic as well as short-term planning, daily management, budget management, networking, reporting as well as liaising with donors are key responsibilities of this position.
Detailed Tasks and Responsibilities
- Ensure the appropriate coordination of the Safe Flyways program by implementing its activities in a timely manner with the projects teams
- Establish and maintain regular contact with the focal points of relevant stakeholders
- Oversee the projects’ work plans and ensure adequate delivery of technical reports as per timeline
- Attending and actively participating in NCE managerial team meetings
- Aligning the program’s objectives with the overall organizational objectives
Addressing the illegal hunting of birds along Egypt’s Northern Mediterranean coast
- Working closely with NCE’s communications team to implement the project communications strategy targeting the relevant stakeholders
- Assessing and improving the baseline of knowledge about the scale of illegal hunting along Egypt’s northern Mediterranean coast during Autumn migration
- Establish strategic coalition of responsible local hunters & hunting groups from the Egyptian Mediterranean coast interested in promoting conservation actions
- Organizing a celebration of World Migratory Bird Day in target sites, integrating bird watching activities to complement conservation messages to reduce hunting; bridging conservation with revenue-generating tourism activities
Reducing energy infrastructure related bird mortality
- Improving the knowledge base regarding high risk collision and electrocution sites for migratory birds through field and desk studies
- Work on applying mitigation measures at chosen pilot site(s)
- Implementing a study to evaluate the effectiveness of mitigation measures through assessment of bird fatalities at sites with or without interventions
- Work with NCE’s communications team to produce communications material to document and promote the monitoring efforts being conducted in Egypt as a case study for bird-friendly wind farm and powerline infrastructure
- An advanced degree (Masters or higher) in Biological Sciences, Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, or a related field
- At least 3 years of experience in project management and field work related to Biodiversity Conservation
- Experience in working with NGOs and non-profit organizations
Skills & Competencies
- Passion for nature conservation
- Demonstrated knowledge in project management and monitoring
- Experience in research methodology, tools and techniques and survey design. Ornithological knowledge is a plus.
- Proven ability to produce high level reports in accordance with schedules
- Openness to feedback, and ability to give open and constructive feedback
- The ability to work effectively under pressure and to manage the challenges of a growing organization
- Excellent organizational skills
- Flexibility and openness to adapt to the requirements of a dynamic working environment
- Oral and written fluency in English and Arabic
- Willingness to travel locally on regular basis
Please send your CV and a cover highlighting your motivation and suitability for this position to email@example.com before the 15th of February, 2019. Please write “Program Manager – Safe Flyways” in the subject.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Thank you for understanding.