Nature Conservation Egypt
Terms of Reference
Position: Conservation Director
Nature Conservation Egypt (NCE) is an Egyptian non-governmental organisation (NGO), specialising in the conservation of Egypt’s biodiversity and natural heritage. Established in 2005, NCE approaches conservation through advocacy, research, capacity building, awareness-raising, educational activities, as well as legislative and policy-based approaches to conservation.
In collaboration with NCE’s Executive Director and Board, the Conservation Director will lead, oversee and coordinate NCE’s conservation efforts by defining NCE’s conservation priorities, linking them with global conservation outcomes, monitoring progress and assessing impact. The Conservation Director will be leading NCE’s scientific work, and translating this work into policy and actions.
The specific duties and responsibilities of the Conservation Director will include:
- Work with NCE’s Executive Director and Board to develop and implement the conservation strategy for NCE.
- Define the strategic direction of the Conservation department and oversee implementation of the conservation activities.
- Establish, implement and oversee monitoring of conservation programmes and priorities in line with strategic plans.
- Maintain and deliver a plan and budget for the delivery of the conservation programmes in line with strategic plans.
- Develop, establish and build strong enduring relationships with NCE’s community of partners, staff, Board and supporters to strengthen interaction, creativity and conservation results.
- Inspire, motivate, empower, develop and provide training for NCE’s future Conservation team, as well as young Egyptian scientists and conservationists in the field.
- Ensure all programmes have effective conservation plans, deliver impact at scale and are effectively contributing to relevant priorities.
- Ensure continuous and coherent flow of conservation project information internally and externally, as appropriate, to help promote smooth and timely implementation of conservation programme objectives.
- Oversee all Conservation team processes and ensure that projects, plans and procedures are in place to support them.
- Oversee the development, integration and implementation of all conservation projects.
- Establish a network of influence with key organisations and individuals in the Egypt, Middle East, and North Africa to influence and inform national policy and decision-making.
- Leads on conducting conservation audits and evaluations as required and ensuring timely and effective implementation of all recommendations.
- Sets, in collaboration with the Executive Director, the annual conservation division budgets and ensure effective management of agreed budgets in line with NCE’s procedures.
- Advanced degree (masters or higher) in Biology, Natural Resources, Environment, Ecology, Social Science or other related discipline.
- At least 3 years of experience in conservation planning and programme design.
- 5 years’ post-graduate professional direct experience in relation to environment, development, conservation or sustainability.
- At least 2 years in a senior conservation leadership role.
- Experience in non-profit or environmental organization.
- Experience of securing funding for projects and conservation activities.
Skills & Competencies
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Experience of working in an international and/or inter-cultural environment, with NGO
experience an advantage.
- Demonstrated evidence of a strong strategic and analytical mind-set.
- Effective working in teams to achieve a common objective.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, a networker who is good at building relationships.
- Solutions-oriented with effective problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and remote teams against tight deadlines.
- Strong people management and leadership skills with a high degree of accountability.
- Excellent practical and theoretical knowledge of conservation planning and implementation at the field and programme level, monitoring and evaluations and all essential tools and best practices required.
- Ability to think flexibly and creatively while driving change and high performance.
- Decisive, proactive, collaborative and an excellent communicator.
- Passion and commitment for conservation and sustainable development.
Working Hours & Location
The Conservation Director will be expected to work five full working days a week, mostly at NCE’s headquarters in Agouza. Local (and occasionally international) travel is an essential component of this position, for the planning, implementation and monitoring of projects.
Send your CV to Mohamed Abdel Raouf at email@example.com before the 31st of August, 2018.